The most recent feedback has included;
- Too much symmetry in the board and home regions.
- Player sides should be more distinct.
- Hidden stacks not popular. Some people do have the memory powers that allow them to remember exactly where their special units are, most don't including me).
- Maelstrom not enough of a draw?
- Rules are not clearly written.
Which leads me to the following;
- The current game setup and playing sides are pretty much the same as the first draft version, so adding a bit of asymmetry to each side was always the plan. The MM:Scotland board will also give more asymmetrical setups and gameplay.
- Make each side more distinct by having an ability, plus add spell casting - one spell per resource card that can be used to power it, not sea and red cards are used for counter spells.
- Play with open stacks - contents revealed on combat or healing. Remove Assassin, Thief, Rogue and Spy as units and have them as abilities only. Make city units visible, e.g. slightly bigger token size - you can know where cities are (possibly revert to cities not counting for stacking limit?)
- Make Maelstrom a +6 Mana (or 8?)
- I know that I need to make a full rules manual with good examples of play!
New MM:Scotland Map
New Abilities for Each Side
Re-introduce spells for each side, but keep simple and easy to work. Add unique abilities.
- Dark: +2 Attack, Negative spells...
- Light: +2 Defence, Postive spells...
- Ice: Move two areas if at least one is Sea, Ice spells...
- Fire: Move two land areas, Fire spells...
New stackable counters
Army counter will be about 15mm by 25 mm
|Army, full health|
|Army, half health|
City counter will be about 25mm by 30 mm
|City, full health|
Special Place counter will be about 30mm by 25mm
|City, half health|
New stacking styles, Army with City;
|Army Unit stacked on a city|
New stacking styles, Army with City and Special Place;
|Army and City stacked on a Special Place|